Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hunter's Birth Story

This was originally written on August 14, 2012

First-Here is one of my maternity photos. Taken the evening before I went into labor!

I'm typing from my phone, so I apologize for any typos!

Thursday 8/9/12 at my weekly appointment, we got the news that I was going to be induced on Tuesday 8/14 since my blood pressure was still a bit elevated.

Saturday 8/11/12 started like normal. No signs of coming labor at all(and I never really had braxton hicks contractions before either). That evening, I went to supper(Mexican) with my mom and sister, then we went to Walmart to get some last minute stuff we still needed. I had one contraction at Walmart(non painful, just tightening). I got home around 9pm.

I took a long bath, then at about 1am, I finally decided to go to bed. I went to the bathroom and while using it, I felt a huge pop, and instantly felt cramps and felt like I was still peeing, but I wasn't! I stood up, went and woke josh up, and told him my water had broke(and that it was still happening!) I called my sister(an OB nurse) and she told me to shower(I didn't wash my hair in the bath earlier). So I took a quick one, Josh threw things in my bag(I hadn't finished packing it yet) and then we headed to the hospital.

Contractions were already coming about 3 minutes apart once we got to the hospital. I could still talk through them up until we got to my room. They checked me when I first got there (2am) and I was at 4-5cm and 90%. They called the lab to get my blood work before my epidural. After they left it would be about an hour before I could get the epidural. They checked me again before calling for the epidural and I was at 6cm. (3:30am) By this point I cannot talk through contractions and they were coming every 1-2 minutes. The only thing I could do was focus on breathing through them. Hunter's heart rate dipped once so they tried getting me on my side but the pressure was so intense that I couldn't lay there long. Finally the guy came to give the epidural at 4am. It took 2 tries to get it, but finally I had relief. They checked me again once I was numb and I was at 7cm. I felt like a new woman with the epidural(and I remember specifically telling them that it was the best thing since sliced bread!) I could feel the pressure of a contraction but was completely pain free!

At 5:20am they checked me again and I was complete and ready to push! I started pushing around 5:40am. it took a few pushes to get the hang of it but my doctor said I was doing it perfectly. In between contractions, me, Josh, my doctor, and nurses were talking about the most random things and laughing hysterically.(our family in the hall probably thought we were crazy).

After about 25-30 minutes of pushing, Hunter made his debut at 6:09am on August 12, 2012! He came out so fast I thought my doctor was going to drop him! Josh didn't cut the cord(he doesn't do well with blood or stuff like that) but he was amazing. He held my left leg the whole time for me. Hunter instantly started crying, and I did too. While they were cleaning me up, Josh went to the warmer and he was just in awe. As was I just seeing the look in his face.

I have a 2nd degree tear, but it is worth it. I honestly could not have asked for a better labor experience. It went so much better than I was expecting.

Here is our sweet boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment